Sony NEX-6 Milky Way Time Lapse

Milky Way Time Lapse by David H.


Here are the settings David H. used on his NEX-6 with the help of PlayMemories Camera Apps.
Camera settings: 16mm, ISO 1600, f3.5, 30sec.To extend the battery life I made a cover to put over the EVF to trick the camera. This turns off the light on the back of the main screen and conserves a lot of power. I did this using the Time Lapse app on 40 second intervals (10 seconds longer than exposure time to allow the camera to process images). Still trying to figure out if you can use the Time Lapse app in RAW format.

Here is a video showing the NEX / Time Lapse App interface.

NEX PlayMemories Camera Apps Time Lapse


The Time Lapse App is available for $9.99 from the PlayMemories Camera App store. PlayMemories Camera Apps are compatible with Sony NEX-5R and NEX-6 cameras.


Comments

  1. I suspect you cannot make a time lapse in RAW format, and if you could, disk space would become an issue pretty quickly. If the camera is building the time lapse as it goes into a compiled movie, you'd need to recompile it by hand after processing the RAW images anyway.

    I shot about 120GB of photos on my pair of NEX-5Ns in January alone. I'm sure I can find a way to store a Terabyte of photos I'll take this year while making time lapses and high speed shoots. If I was shooting RAW I'd probably need more like 10TB and have to hire someone to do nothing but process the RAW photos.

    I've written a couple things, including a two-part guide to cheaper astrophotography using the NEX. I'd be happy to contribute my NEX-specific blogs for re-use here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this discussion.
    Can you not do everything just like you did but choose 'stills' versus letting the Nex make the movie, and in the app's menu select .raw?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Install OpenMemories AppStore

Buy 2 Sony Alpha Lenses and Receive a Rebate with a Qualifying Sony Alpha Camera

Use Medium Format Lenses with Sony A7 Cameras